Monday, November 22, 2004

Popsicle Toes

Brrrr!!! It is hella cold outside!!!  Actually, it's not that cold but it is around freezing.  It's pretty cold inside the flat as well since the heaters were off in the house for a week while we were in Brussels. Emin, the landlord's son, built two fires to heat up the house but failed to turn on any of our electric heaters *hehe*  So, when I got home, I built fires again and turned on all available heaters...but then the power went out around 3am and was scheduled to stay off until 12pm.  I guess the power plant crapped out and they were doing emergency imports of power only for the hospitals and like facilities. 

So, I am back to the morning ritual of waking up, taking Smokey outside, and spending 20 minutes hauling firewood and building fires :)  I do love the winter though...sometimes I wish I could just sit in front of the fire and not go anywhere!  Smokey was lucky to get a little sympathy from Emin while we are gone and spent some time in the house unsupervised.  Tonight when I go home, providing there is power, I will look to see if and where he peed in the house :-P

The flight back to Pristina was the late Austrian flight that arrives at 9:45pm.  Flying over Kosovo at night was a rare treat that I had not yet experienced.  You know when you fly to cities in the US, you can see defined streets, organized neighborhoods, neat and concise city planning?  Well, flying over Kosovo more looks like someone took a couple strings of Christmas lights, tangled them up into knots and threw them into a box *chuckle* 

I almost forgot to share...I bought a freshwater lobster for my fish tank right before I left for Brussels.  He seems to be doing well with the other fish although they did eat nine neon tetras overnight!  He also killed one of the other smaller fish in the aquarium...but I have to say that fish didn't do much except hang out near the filter...so maybe he deserved it *hehe*  Survival of the fittest!!!  Anyways, I now have two cleaner fish (one big nasty looking slug one that has yet to be identified), one large black fish with an orange tail, one large blue fish that hides in the castle all day, two zebra fish, one Beta fighting fish, one striped fish with a hard-spike on his back (poked a hole in the bag when I bought him and was stuck in the bag!), and finally, Larry the Lobster :)