Sunday, November 30, 2003

Happy Thanksgiving

I managed to score a Thanksgiving Turkey this year!  Unfortunately, Thanksgiving is a US holiday, so I had to work on Thursday.  But I didn't let that stop me.  I gathered a small group of friends at my flat on Saturday evening and we had an evening of laughter and fun.  The power was fortunately on all the way through the cooking of the turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, and spiced wine.  Then when it came time to carve the turkey and put the cheesecake in the oven, zap!  The power goes off!  It was an interested experience trying to carve the turkey using a head-lamp (flashlight that you wear on your head - think miner) and not only that, but I didn't have a carving set, so I had to use a regular fork and the biggest knife I had in my set!  Of course, the cheesecake didn't cook properly so it ended up being more of a cheese-glop that anything!  But it tasted great :)
Earlier this month, Didem and I went to the second finger of Halkadiki (Sithonia), Greece (AGAIN!)  We stopped by Ikea in Thessaloniki and had a blast shopping.  The normal busy summer life of Halkadiki was non-existent in November.  The few stores that were open in October during our last trip were now closed.  The whole place was basically shut-down with few places to eat or shop.  I think in the future during the off-season, I'll head to Thessaloniki for some fun.