Saturday, December 20, 2003

Happy Holidays

Well, it is off to Las Vegas for the holidays.  I'm wheels up from Skopje, Macedonia at 7am.  Flying from Skopje is always a treat because the airport is such a mess and the people are truly amazing.  There seems to be little concept of order when standing in line...it's kind of a push to the front and whoever reaches the counter first, wins!!!  I'm traveling light this year so I can bring back lots of supplies with me (cake mix, spices, long johns!)  I am looking forward to going home to see my family and friends.  It has been an entire year since I've been in the US and I miss the simple things like window-shopping at the mall or meeting friends for dinner at Tony Roma's (yes, that would be Neil & Angela!)  Thinking of food I miss, I'm craving a Taco Bell's 7-layer burrito, Papa John's Pizza with dipping sauce, and steak with lobster! You think you have a problem with weight during the holidays?!?  
The snow was a little late this year.  It just snowed this week and not that much...thankfully because most of the UN-staffers are going home to their families this weekend and it would be a disaster if the airport closed!  But I enjoyed it!  It was a surprise to take Smokey outside and find snow on the ground.  And there is something incredibly peaceful about the silence there is when it is snowing.  It feels like you are the only person in the world...that is until Smokey pulls me along and I remember he is there :)  He seems to enjoy the snow as well...sniffing around and trying to catch snowballs!