Sunday, November 13, 2005

The Fate of the Balkans & Thanksgiving

There was an interesting article about the Future of the Balkans beyond 2005 at site called OpenDemocracy a few days ago.
It seems that winter is upon us.  I know I keep saying that but every couple of weeks, we think that winter has arrived and then it gets warmer.  But now the past couple of days a dense fog has rolled in at night and up until lunchtime today it was still a bit foggy.  The temperature hasn't dropped really low yet.  It's still in the 40's during the day and just below freezing at night.  To me, January is always the coldest month in Kosovo with a week or two of temperatures in the teens.

So far the power isn't so bad *knock on wood*.  It seems to be regulated to 5:1 (five on, one off) but we never know which one hour it will be off.  I'm still contemplating whether or not I want to attempt cooking a turkey for the Thanksgiving weekend.  If the power goes off in the middle of cooking, I don't know what I'll do (you'd probably see me outside on my balcony saying not so nice things about KEK :)  I saw that they are selling Butterball turkeys at Bondsteel this year.  I already found some cranberry sauce, stuffing, and gravy at the PX.  Maybe I will try to treat my friends to a traditional American Thanksgiving dinner over the weekend.  Unfortunately I will have to work on Thursday since they don't celebrate Thanksgiving in Kosovo (yet!)