Saturday, July 5, 2008

Belated Happy 4th of July

I couldn't help but chuckle at a recent article in the Kosov@ Post about 4th of July celebrations in Pristina. The author of the article talks about how many countries celebrate 4th of July to express their gratitude to the US and that Kosovo is one of those countries. Honestly, I don't think that anyone outside the US except other Americans celebrate the 4th of July and it's a bit interesting to see other people celebrating the Independence Day of my country. I'm sure that someone from Germany or South Africa would find it just as odd if I held a celebration for their independence days...but I can't say that I don't appreciate the vigor in which the Kosovar people appreciate the assistance that the US has provided over the years. Also mentioned in the article is something called the "American Corner in Pristina" which is located near the National Library (that funky building that supposedly looks like a human brain from the air). As an American, I never even knew we had a corner in Pristina or even what an American corner is...but I'll be checking into it when I get back that's for sure.
I again have to put a mention in for Pacific Rim Bistro & Wine Bar in Dragodan for providing a kick-@$$ American-style buffet for my friends on the 4th. They simply can't stop raving (and rubbing it in that I missed it!) about how good the food was and how much they enjoyed the meal. As I've been doing research for my articles (oops, I wasn't planning on tying this blog to the newspaper but it wouldn't be easy to keep it separated for long...I'm the restaurant reviewer for Kosov@ Post), I've been frequenting Pacific Rim to try the different food and so far, two thumbs way up for excellent food. I think that I won't need to feel homesick for American food anymore and Tom's Korean Kalbi is almost as good as Mom's (but you know no one ever does it as good or better than Mom!).

MTCowgirl's Interesting Articles/Commentary