Tuesday, July 27, 2004

What's Up Wit' Dat?

Whoa X 100%!!!  I spent around 15 hours without power yesterday.  It was probably due to the huge thunderstorm that descended on Kosovo like a rabid, starving pack of dogs would on a discarded steak.  I very sarcastically offer my opinion that maybe the power plant was struck by lightening and blew up AGAIN (happened in the summer of 2002 where the lightening insulators had a shelf-life of 25 years but in the power plant, they were over 40 years old.  Lightening struck during a storm and the station was pretty much destroyed).  Today the power situation appears to be stabilizing to four hours on and two hours off.  But I have to admit that last night tested my resolve (why oh why am I here?) while I sat in the semi-dark of my house listening to the hum of the neighborhood generators. 

On the waterfront, it has been raining non-stop since yesterday night so there isn't a lack of water in our flat now.  I had a nice shower this morning before running out of hot water because there wasn't electricity to run the boiler...yeah, yeah...can't have my cake and eat it too, right?  Anyways, I'm looking forward to coming home to the States for two weeks to take long hot showers, eat Taco Bell Seven-Layer Burritos, shop in the Galleria Sunset Mall, and see some of my friends from the university...ah, the life!!!