Monday, October 23, 2006

Me Fat Bajram

Happy Bajram again.  It is again what I classify as the Muslim "Christmas".  A three-day celebration of the end of Ramadan, a month of fasting where Muslims are not to eat or drink anything from sunrise to sunset, Bajram seems to be a time where everyone visits friends and family and life is good in Kosovo.  I presented my landlord and his family a small loaf of baked lemon cake and some dried fruits...they later knocked on the door to offer me some traditional burek and cake. 

Since it was a holiday, I decided to head down to Skopje with a colleague for a little afternoon shopping.  Pretty much everything in Kosovo except restaurants (and I'm not sure if all of them!) was closed for the day and the streets were quiet.  The border was absolutely packed going both ways when we headed back to Pristina in the afternoon.  It just shows that there are a lot of family or friend connections between Albanians living in Kosovo and those living in Macedonia.

Oh, and finally before I forget...I can't help but chuckle at the thought of it...but there is a new rap song out by an artist called Ento Enjgjujt called "Proud to be Albanian".  Pay close attention to when the map of the Balkans appears and a line is drawn around the region...you might be shocked to see the various borders that the line crosses :)