Monday, May 17, 2004

Fresh Soup Anyone?

I have to share the story with you because it is so funny!!!
We have a semi-restaurant in the UN compound called the "Terrace Lounge" which serves sandwiches, pizza and pasta for lunch/dinner.  They started having daily specials and today, they had chicken soup.  Now, I've had the chicken soup there before when it wasn't on special, and it was Cup-o-Noodles style (out of a packet!)  So, just to make sure that the special was 'special', I asked if the soup was fresh.  The waiter said yes, it is fresh.  Then he thought for a minute and said that it was from the packet.  So, I said okay, it's not fresh.  His response was yes, it is fresh out of the packet.  Fresh Cup-o-Noodles!!!

It reminds me of a similar incident in one of my favorite restaurants in Pristina, Pinocchio.  On the menu, they listed fresh orange juice which happens to be one of my all-time favorite drinks.  I ordered a fresh orange juice and to my surprise (I really shouldn't have been surprised but you do hope!) the waiter came with bottled orange juice.  I looked at him and said, "no, I wanted fresh orange juice."  He told me "it was fresh when it was bottled"  *AGH!*