Sunday, May 16, 2004

Rain, Rain, Rain :-P~

Agh!  I have CABIN FEVER!  It has rained for almost three weeks straight...okay, except for five minutes of sunshine here and there.  I am ready for sunshine like you wouldn't believe!!!  We are still on vehicle restrictions in Kosovo so even a day-trip down to Prizren for fresh fish is out of the question.  So, weekends are being spent inside drinking hot chocolate and surfing the internet.

On a good note, the rain is making everything incredibly green!!!  My rose bush and pansies are doing wonderful...but I never did get the vegetable garden planted because of the weather.  Maybe I will try to do it this weekend...or else it will be getting too late!!!  I bought seeds for lettuce, radishes, peas, and beans...all of which are difficult to find during the summer. 

I remember when I first arrived in August of 2000 for a visit.  The only vegetables that were available were tomatoes, peppers, onions, cabbage, and cucumbers.  Now we have two kinds of peppers *LOL*  No, just kidding.  Now it is possible to find almost everything...except that you usually only have a choice of one kind of thing.  What I mean is if you want lettuce, you can have butter leaf lettuce...if you want tomatoes, you can have regular big tomatoes (or if you are lucky, they might have some mushy cherry tomatoes).  The vegetables also usually sit outside the markets in the heat/sun all day so that by the time you go shopping in the afternoon, the lettuce is wilted, the carrots are soft, and the tomatoes are mushy :-(