Friday, February 10, 2006

Winter Wonderland!

Around 1100 yesterday, it started snowing.  By 1300, road conditions were dangerous and traffic was starting to back-up.  At the airport, the Malev Budapest-Pristina flight slid 50m off the runway when landing.  Fortunately no one was hurt and the airplane was not damaged due to the ground being frozen solid but there is an investigation into the incident.  It continued snowing non-stop until late in the evening and at 1800, it took me 40 minutes to make the 5km drive from AHQ to downtown!
Today, flights are cancelled due to fog at the airport limiting visibility to 100m.  That means my weekend of shopping in Istanbul is cancelled :(  I was looking forward to getting out of Pristina for a couple of days, having 24/7 power, and a nice hot bath!  Now I guess I'll just stay home with Smokey, drink hot chocolate, and do the laundry!