Most businesses are closed today in an expected three days of celebrations, possibly starting counting today as the first real day. Essentially everything except for restaurants and larger supermarkets are closed and in the morning the streets were nearly as empty as they were following the March 2004 riots...after a wild night of fireworks and gunfire it is very eerie! Yesterday, two people were injured by celebratory gunfire. An on-duty KPS police officer was shot in the hand and another person was shot in the head by stray bullets. Today, shell casings from AK-47s and even Luger 9mm could be found littering the streets of Pristina.
Naturally Kosovo is all over the news. If you don't know what's going on, you are living under a rock!!! But here is some of the latest and greatest from the world's newest (somewhat recognized) nation!
MTCowgirl's Interesting Articles/Commentary...
- A new nation but the old problems will linger yet
- The curse of national grievance
- What about all the other Kosovos?
- A country in search of an identity
- Kosovo and the law
- Kosovo is independent, why not Vermont?
- Jubilation and diplomatic complexities
- Kosovo and the New World Order
- Kosovo: What can the world expect?
- Kosovo's Giant Mosh Pit
- Serbia files criminal charges against Kosovo politicians
- US takes lead in recognizing Kosovo as Russians protest
- Serbia recalls ambassador to US following recognition
- Kosovo faces huge economic hurdles
- International Press: Bleak outlook for Kosovo
- IOC to recognize Kosovo but not in time for Beijing Olympics